Monday, January 18, 2016

SFU Lecture: Thursday February 18, 2016 Russia: Images and Lessons in Planning

As readers of this blog are aware, over the past two years I have made a number of trips to Russia to participate in three different initiatives, and tour different parts of the country. It is a fascinating place, the land of my forefathers, and I have been impressed with both the heritage sights, as well as many new developments. Since people often ask me what Russia is like, I decided to present another SFU lecture, that incorporates some of my better photos, along with an overview of two very interesting planning competitions with which I have been involved. I will also include some of the more quirky things I have come across during my travels, including therapeutic fish in Sochi, and a price schedule for broken crockery and glassware from a Kazan restaurant.

The following is the notification posted by SFU Continuing Studies.

Over the past two years, Michael Geller has participated in a number of planning activities in Russia, including serving on the competition jury for Moscow's new International Financial Centre; speaking on heritage conservation and master planning in Saint Petersburg; and acting as jury chairman for a sustainable community planning competition in Kazan, Russia's 'third capital.'

This lecture will present images of old and new Russia, with a focus on urban development and housing. It will include a review of Russian planning practices and potential lessons from this fascinating country. Be prepared to be surprised by what you see and hear.

Date: Thursday, February 18, 2016, 7–9 pm
Admission: Free, but reservations are required. Reserve
Venue: Room 1400, SFU Vancouver (Harbour Centre)
Related topic: Community Building

Lecturer

Michael Geller is an architect, planner, real estate consultant and property developer with four decades' experience in the public, private and institutional sectors. He serves on the Adjunct Faculty of the SFU Centre for Sustainable Community Development and writes a bi-weekly civic affairs column in the Vancouver Courier. A past-president of the Urban Development Institute, he travels extensively and writes a blog at gellersworldtravel.blogspot.com.

 
I hope you will be able to join me.

No comments: